If you follow me on instagram (which reminds me that I need to get to work on those social media buttons), you know that I made a new hat for souricette 1 on Monday. It’s the pointy hat pattern like the one souricette 2 has been wearing all Winter. I had created three sizes. It was supposed to be ages 1, 2, and 3 but it turns out 1 is baby sized, 2 is toddler sized, and 3 is kid sized. I think it has to do with the knitting technique I used. It allows me to “draw” while keeping the reverse neat and the fabric stretchy. But it ends up being like ribbing so verrrrry stretchy.
Anyway, I made the hat. Souricette 1 was not enthusiastic because she’s done with Winter. Aren’t we all? Tuesday, I finally finished the document detailing how to make the hats. Something was off. The point was a little flatter on the size 3 hat. Sizes 1 and 2 had 58 rows where size 3 had 52. When do bigger sizes get fewer rows? But I let it go. I had tried another size 3 prototype on souricette 1 and it fit. Who was I to question it?
So Wednesday, I managed to get a few pictures. The hat is almost as cute as the girl wearing it.
But does it fit well? Ha. It’s too big in the neck.
See how floppy it is there? Not good. The hat isn’t meant to be tight but it shouldn’t be that loose. So I took the other hat out. Huge difference! I guess that’s what happens when your shape files disappear (still can’t figure out how that came about) and all you have to go on to replicate them is a piece of paper with measurements.
I’ve changed that size 3 shape file but I’ll have to reknit a hat to check if it’s right. And I’ll have to recheck the other sizes too! Not what I want to be doing right now… I guess it’ll give me a chance to try out new color combinations. But yes, I will be taking a break from these hats first. I just mess things up when I’m frustrated so it’s best to wait. Besides, Thursday morning, she decided she wanted to wear it as is…