Guess what? I finally got around to taking pictures of my Peony!
So. I’m not sure where to start. I keep going back and forth on this dress. One minute, I’m quite satisfied. The next, all I see are its issues. Also, yes, I know I should have steamed it a little before taking the pictures…
- I love my fabric choices. I used wool suiting for the exterior and the belt and Bemberg rayon for the lining. The rayon is so silky soft next to the skin and the wool was a dream to work with. I actually hand washed everything before sewing because I never have anything dry cleaned. Except maybe coats. But ha! Wanna know what I did? I through a piece of the wool in the washer. On hot. With a cold rinse. Wanna know what happened? Exactly nothing! No felting whatsoever. Not even a little bit.
- Pockets! Which also means that I kept sticking my hands in them when taking pictures for maximum fabric distortion.
- The skirt portion was perfect as is.
- I love the belt detail.
The “bad”: I mean, not horrible, but not as good. And it’s all about the fit.
- When I adjust the dress just so, it looks pretty good. There’s a little bit of extra fabric under the bust. I tried scooping out the dart there and it worked to remove the excess fabric but then the dart point would bubble more. So I went with low bubble but extra fabric underneath.
- When I move, the dress moves too and that throws off the fit a little. If it moves just a bit higher, you can see the shoulder area near the neck isn’t quite snug against my body. And that neckline is so high!
- When I tug the dress back down, I tend to tug it down too much because the neckline is so high. When that happens, the darts aren’t in the right place anymore and it starts pulling a little in the bust.
- I removed tons of fabric from the center back but I think maybe I also needed a sway back ajustement? Or something? There’s still some wrinkling there.
Overall? I do like it and will wear it but I won’t make another one. Not just yet at least. It just took me way too long to get a fit that really isn’t as good as I would like. I would love to have a Peony that fits perfectly with a slightly lowered neckline and short sleeves but I won’t be attempting that on my own, no way. If I ever get to go to a fitting class though, that’s the pattern I’ll be working on. I have a feeling I would learn so much from having an expert help me with it. Online tutorials and books can only take you so far, you know?