Lazy Dress

I’m not sure what possessed me last week but I decided to make a dress with a pattern I wasn’t sure I was going to like and a fabric I wasn’t sure about.  Way to get myself excited about a project, eh?

I had this fabric hanging around.  3 yards of it.

_MG_5748

(Sorry for the crappy picture.  The photographer was lazy as well.)  I’ve had it for a while and wasn’t sure what to make of it.  I bought it online it thinking that, if I hated the plaid, I could always look the reverse side with that twill look.  Turns out I really dislike that side.  I thought it would have a bit of a chambray look but it doesn’t. And while the plaid is only colors I like and wear, I wasn’t sure of the combo.  So it stayed there.

And then I saw this dress.  Same fabric!  And it’s actually pretty! And I happened to have the Colette Dahlia pattern that was just begging for a plaid. I wasn’t sure it would work out so well because of some negative critiques I had read.  I think I figured I wouldn’t be sad to lose the plaid fabric if the dress turned out horrible.  Or something.

And here is the result!  (I did the sleeved version but used the sleeveless version’s skirt and shortened the sleeves.  By 4 plaid squares. 5″ 1/2.)

_MG_5735

Souricette 2 insists that I used the wrong side of the fabric.  Souricette 1 said my dress was pretty even before it was finished.  And Mr. Mouse said he liked the plaid better.

As for me?  I’ll wear it.  It isn’t perfect in any way shape or form but it’ll do.

The back is a bit odd, no? Too much fabric again or something. (Not the hemming. The hem is just suffering from a case of not being pressed. And those weird pulls at the waistband are because of how I’m standing.)

_MG_5743

The neckline was way too loose, with a bit of gaping at the back neck and shoulders.  I tried to gather it nice and tight in front but that pulled the seams out of place and created lines at the underarms.  So I tightened up the back and shoulder area by s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the bias tape when I sewed it on.

_MG_5746

It fixed the gaping but did create some mild gathers as you can see in that crappy picture.  (Oh, maybe a good pressing with lots of steam would help!) And the neckline is still kind of an odd shape.

_MG_5737

I also didn’t work very hard to match my plaid. I did make an effort.  That side seam on the bodice is no accident!  But I didn’t agonize over the lack of matching at the skirt seams. And hey, it’s better than the matching I’ve seen on some not inexpensive items in retail stores so there.

Like I said, it’s far from perfect but it’ll do.  It evens looks pretty cute, doesn’t it?

Creative mommy at home to two wonderful little girls, trying to juggle family, sewing, exercise, family, knitting, photography, and did I mention family?

Tagged with: , ,
Posted in Sewing
2 comments on “Lazy Dress
  1. Charity says:

    That turned out pretty cute! You made it work in spite of pattern issues!

I love reading your comments! I will try to respond to every single one.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: