Almost There

Actually, I think it might finally be done.

_MG_8492

I want to let it rest for a day or two before I decide.  As it stands, I’ve done my best but I’m not sure the finishing is exactly what I would have liked.  Those inside seams…

Everything is sewn with a straight stitch and then a zigzag to finish the edge.  I cut as close to the zigzag as felt comfortable so the edges still look a little unfinished.

_MG_8485

_MG_8480

In terms of look, I don’t hate it for this specific sweater.  An unfinished esthetic works well with the fabric’s drop stitch pattern.  But for anything else?  I would want something neater.

As it is, I used soluble stabilizer to keep the seams from stretching.  It worked.  Sort of.  The hem was still a little stretched out.  I think maybe it might have worked even better if I’d combined the stabilizer with the walking foot.  Something else to try next time, right?

After trying on the sweater, I decided it needed a good 2.5″ off the bottom.  Instead of messing around with cutting off some length and making a new hem, I just folded it up and handstitched it in place.  You can see the extra thickness.  Something else to work on…

_MG_8490

Another issue I had was the armholes.  I think that might be a pattern issue rather than a sewing issue though.  The bodice is the same whether you have sleeves or not and well, I think that’s wrong. A sleeveless top needs a slightly tighter armscye. There’s no need for extra range of movement since your arm is free and a large armscye creates some gaping. I took in the side seam about an inch (you can see it in that inside seam picture) but it still gaped. So I added slightly stretched clear elastic right on the seam, on the wrong side.

_MG_8483

I think the issue is fixed now. We’ll see in a couple days if I need to do something more. One thing’s for sure.  I still have a lot to learn!

Creative mommy at home to two wonderful little girls, trying to juggle family, sewing, exercise, family, knitting, photography, and did I mention family?

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Knitting, Sewing
One comment on “Almost There
  1. […] So, the details.  The pattern is McCall’s 6796. Fabric is my own design (drop stitch pattern) in a 50% cotton / 50% acrylic yarn, about sport weight.  It’s mostly a taupey grey but with some olive color blocking because I ran out of the grey. Finishing details are in last week’s post. […]

    Like

I love reading your comments! I will try to respond to every single one.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

No Instagram images were found.

2014 Sewing for Children Contest Inspired Us Thursdays: Sew Needle Stitch Hook, a link party of fiber arts. | The Inspired Wren Flip This Pattern Father's Fantastic Five
%d bloggers like this: