KCW: Last Three Things

I had these plans where I’d get everything photographed and shared really fast during Kids Clothes Week.  And it sort of worked at first.  I’d let V wear her new dress and catch some quick pictures right away that morning.  It fell apart when I started sewing for E.  So here is the rest of my KCW work days after it’s over.

I had some Liberty tana lawn to use for E too but she doesn’t really wear dresses much anymore.  We settled on a top and I gave her some options.  She chose the Violette Field Threads Lainey top.

_MG_2091

_MG_2098

The accent is some leftover eyelet cotton I had.  I wasn’t planning on making the bias tape but I didn’t have enough store bought navy.  I’m happy I didn’t have enough though. I like having the little flowers at the top too. The pattern went together well.  There’s a weird pointy bit at the underarm (sorry, no picture).  The pattern comes with a piece for cutting out the underarm on the skirt piece.  One side is super pointy and that’s the bottom of the underarm.  I figure something like that has to be a design feature rather than a drafting error but it makes applying the bias tape a little difficult. Otherwise it’s very cute. A little shorter than I would have liked and a lot more full than the pattern photos lead me to believe.  I think E agrees with me.  She didn’t seem sure about it when she tried it on.  I’ll have to see if she wears it.  I still have quite a bit of the fabric left so I’ll figure out something she might wear more.

And last, a couple totally unnecessary leggings.  Both girls wear them a lot and I really really wanted to try the Wild and Free Lounge Pants pattern.  Actually, I wanted to test that pattern but didn’t have the time.

V got a straight size 4 with bunny faces on her knees.  I used some leftover ponte from UrbanSew. I really love it (and they still had some last I checked). It’s pretty beefy and a little spongy.  I haven’t seen any traces of wear on the tunic I made with it and I can’t wait to see how it performs on leggings. The ears are floppy because I didn’t bother tacking them up as suggested in the pattern. I also skipped the interfacing on them.

_MG_2121

E got a size 5 lengthened to a 7. She fit exactly the size 5 waist and both the size 7 height and inseam.  The pattern does have some advice for lengthening a pattern but I’m not quite sure it works well.  The crotch points aren’t lined up.  So if I just lengthened the size 5 using the size 7 length lines, I would get a size 5 rise with an inseam longer than size 7.  But since E matched both height and inseam on the size 7, I wanted her to also have the size 7 crotch depth.  I finagled a bit but I’m not sure I got it quite right.  I wish designers would match the crotch points.  The Dressage Leggings have matching crotch points and it truly helps.  In the future, I may mash up both patterns to make fitting easier.

_MG_2090

I used ponte that I bought at Mood a long time ago for E’s kitty leggings.  It was supposed to be a skirt for me but I got burned with some Girl Charlee ponte that pilled really badly and never made it up.  I’m actually glad I didn’t now because E’s leggings are already starting to show signs of wear (she’s worn them 3 times since the pictures).

Hmmm, I wonder if I have enough of the Urban Sew ponte to make her another pair…  I could stitch down the pockets too (the bags keep popping up)…

_MG_2105

Oh! One last note! I used some Liberty lawn to make the ears and it is the best. Ears like that can be so fiddly. I turn a corner and the machine starts eating the fabric. Come on, you know what I mean! Well not this one. It did not get eaten and it tolerated being pulled every way like a champ.

Creative mommy at home to two wonderful little girls, trying to juggle family, sewing, exercise, family, knitting, photography, and did I mention family?

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Sewing
6 comments on “KCW: Last Three Things
  1. Charity says:

    I’ll bet that top is fantastic for twirling. 😉 The leggings are absolutely adorable! I think I like the bunny ears better floppy than they would be tacked up. Are the faced painted?

    Like

    • Thank you! Yep, the faces are painted. It’s not my preference but I had no time for embroidery or lots of appliqué and I don’t have one of those cutting machines (Silhouette I think?) So painted with whatever I had on hand that sort of went with the fabric.

      Like

  2. […] I made the animal leggings for the girls, E got a matching top. I felt like I should make one for V too. I had plenty of […]

    Like

  3. […] my stash and found some lovely Liberty lawn. Just enough of it too! I used it last year to make E a cute swingy top. I even had enough of the navy blue eyelet for the […]

    Like

I love reading your comments! I will try to respond to every single one.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

2014 Sewing for Children Contest Inspired Us Thursdays: Sew Needle Stitch Hook, a link party of fiber arts. | The Inspired Wren Flip This Pattern Father's Fantastic Five
%d bloggers like this: