Excuse the face. I still haven’t figured out the whole self portrait thing. I feel like I need to bring a mirror so I can see what I’m doing…
And umm, I would really rather not show off my rear end but well, back of the skirt…
So here’s what I did. The pattern is the cover skirt from Sewing in a Straight Line. I used grey 100% cotton corduroy that I’ve had in my stash for way too long. The wales are so fine and close together that it’s almost like velvet.
The pattern is really simple and easy except for the measurements. I measured my waist, added the prescribed ease and then the amount necessary for the pleats. Way too big. I think I took it in a full two inches at the side seams before sewing on the waistband. The pattern actually has you wait until you’ve assembled the skirt before measuring for the waistband so it works out well if you need to make modifications to the width.
I modified a few things. Since I used corduroy, I went with flat felled seams rather than the suggested french seams. I used a quilting cotton for the inside waistband and the same to make a hem facing.
I had to chop off about 3 inches at the bottom of the skirt to have a good length with the facing. I hand stitched it in place because it’s prettier. Seriously, nothing shows on the right side, not awkward line of stitching on the inside… It’s more work but the results are so much better.
I added belt loops to the waistband. I figure that way, if I still feel the skirt is too big around the waist, I can add a belt. There. I also sewed down the pleats for about 2 inches. Thank you to Colette Patterns tutorials! Sewing down the pleats really helps make the design more flattering.
I’m actually really loving this skirt. It’ll be great for Fall and Winter. With boots and tights. Bring on the cold!