I wasn’t originally planning on flipping this one. It’s a beautiful, simple, elegant pattern. I love the Beachy Boatneck. I’m a huge fan of boatnecks , 3/4 sleeves, and curved hems. And I love that this pattern has a facing instead of a band at the collar. I wasn’t going to flip it only because I don’t want to overload myself. Sigh, we all know how well that‘s going!
But then souricette 1 put on a dress. It was getting a little short. And then she put on another dress. Also getting a little short… She could use a new dress. Something comfortable and cute. A knit, possibly? And there was that Beachy Boatneck. It would be so easy to convert to a dress…
I had so many ideas. I was going to lengthen it straight down and add small vents on the sides, keeping the curve. I thought of adding a kangaroo pocket. But then, my fabric came. Pretty prints from Birch. Souricette 1 loved the elk print but wasn’t sure about the chevron. She requested the elks for her dress. But I wanted both. I decided to go for some chevron accents. With the scale of the prints, that was definitely the right decision. My original plans weren’t going to work since they involved an almost 50-50 split between the two prints.
I still wanted the dress to be basically straight but with a very slight A-line for ease of movement. Like souricette 2’s dress… Sunki! So I blended both patterns. Or as CallAjaire would say, I mashed them up. In fact, she has a monthly mash-up series going on over at her blog. I’ve been meaning to participate and this seemed like the perfect time!
I printed out the Beachy Boatneck in souricette 1’s size. I layered the back onto the Sunki back. I lined them up at the lower armscye/ side seam corner. Sunki has that shoulder overlap so I knew the shoulders wouldn’t even sort of match up. All I wanted to get was the lower A line and the length. I carefully layered some tracing paper on top (that see-through stuff) and traced the parts I wanted from each pattern piece. If you try, you’ll see that the center fold line doesn’t match up on both pattern pieces. One pattern is meant for knits and the other for wovens so they don’t have the same amount of ease. I just ignored that and used the Beachy Boatneck center fold line.
The front was a little more complicated because of the cut outs. I started by doing the same thing as for the back so that I had a front with no cut out. Then, I removed the boatneck pattern piece and traced the cut out line. I had to extend it at the armscye level. Then, I traced but did not cut out the pattern for the pocket/side (so the other part of the cut out). I layered that over my front pattern piece in order to adjust the side seam and armscye area.
In the end, I have a dress that uses the Beachy Boatneck body and sleeves blended into the Sunki dress. I chopped the sleeves to just below elbow length and added a chevron band. I considered a contrast band at the bottom but felt it would look unbalanced.
I also used the chevron for the facing.
Souricette 1 loves it. She asked to keep it on after we did the pictures and I suspect she will be wearing it to school this week…