I had to design a knit for my signature style. It wouldn’t be my signature otherwise. But with Summer coming, I wanted to avoid any sort of heavy sweater. I found some organic cotton/linen blend yarn and decided it would make some lovely lace. Next, the pattern. I had been brainstorming possible flips for the Colorblock Dress. And then, I knew.
I decided to flip the dress inside out. The lining became a lace exterior and the colorblocked exterior became the lining. The colorblocking shows through the lace but doesn’t fight with it.
I again used Design-a-Knit to create my lace pattern. I started off with one of the patterns from the program at the bottom. I used two repeats of that pattern at the bottom and then built up from there.
I made two panels and cut one front and one back from each panel. I sewed up the side and shoulder seams and finished them with bias tape.
For the lining, I used white, light grey, and medium grey cottons for an ombré effect.
I did flat felled seams for the color blocking elements and french seams for the sides and shoulders. Then, I assembled the lining and lace at the neck and armholes and finished the edges with bias tape. I cut into the back to create an opening so souricette 1 would be able to put the dress on. The top closes with a bow.
I did 1/2″ double fold hem on the lining and finished the bottom edge of the lace exterior with more bias tape.
I might tack the lace to the lining in some spots to keep it from shifting at some point. The lining sometimes peeks out at the bottom edge.