Project Run&Play: Signature Style

I had to design a knit for my signature style.  It wouldn’t be my signature otherwise.  But with Summer coming, I wanted to avoid any sort of heavy sweater.  I found some organic cotton/linen blend yarn and decided it would make some lovely lace.  Next, the pattern.  I had been brainstorming possible flips for the Colorblock Dress.  And then, I knew.

I decided to flip the dress inside out.  The lining became a lace exterior and the colorblocked exterior became the lining.  The colorblocking shows through the lace but doesn’t fight with it.

I again used Design-a-Knit to create my lace pattern.  I started off with one of the patterns from the program at the bottom.  I used two repeats of that pattern at the bottom and then built up from there.

I made two panels and cut one front and one back from each panel.  I sewed up the side and shoulder seams and finished them with bias tape.

For the lining, I used white, light grey, and medium grey cottons for an ombré effect.

I did flat felled seams for the color blocking elements and french seams for the sides and shoulders.  Then, I assembled the lining and lace at the neck and armholes and finished the edges with bias tape.  I cut into the back to create an opening so souricette 1 would be able to put the dress on.  The top closes with a bow.

I did 1/2″ double fold hem on the lining and finished the bottom edge of the lace exterior with more bias tape.

I might tack the lace to the lining in some spots to keep it from shifting at some point.  The lining sometimes peeks out at the bottom edge.

Flip This Pattern

Creative mommy at home to two wonderful little girls, trying to juggle family, sewing, exercise, family, knitting, photography, and did I mention family?

Tagged with: , , , , ,
Posted in Sewing
44 comments on “Project Run&Play: Signature Style
  1. I am in awe of the knits you create, and what a clever way to flip the Heidi & Finn pattern! This is so cool, and I do think it represents your style perfectly!

2. Courtney says:

Great way to think outside the box! I love the effect of the color blocked lining!

3. So pretty! I am always so impressed with your knits!!

4. Ajaire says:

Raphaelle! I love the knit. It’s so beautiful and the color is perfect. I am so close to buying a knitting machine. Did you post about yours yet? I need to go back and look. This is totally your signature and I just adore it.

• Thank you!

I’m going to try and get a first post up this week. The girls are on break so I have to entertain them at least a little. I’ll tell you what machine I have though. It’s a Silver Reed sk840. I have the main machine, the ribber, the lace carriage, and the yarn changer. And the program I use is sold separately. The whole kit and caboodle costs an arm and a leg! I only have it because of the deal I made with my husband when we moved here for his work.

5. Angela says:

This is fantastic! Beautiful job.

6. That is really beautiful! I love the color you chose for the knit. Just lovely. 🙂

7. paisleyroots says:

I am in awe that you made that knit! Gorgeous!

8. So cute! I love the fabric!

9. Ooooh, now that looks like one comfortable dress!! Beautiful ‘flip’….from the inside, out. I think this is the first ‘flip’ to go that route :). Nicely done!!

10. Kristin says:

Beautiful! I like the peek of the lining.

11. Rebecca says:

Wow! What an amazing dress! Really lovely!

12. Rachel says:

This is amazing, I’m so impressed!

13. Carin says:

Beautiful work! I love that knit

14. Dropping by from The Inspired Wrenn, wonderful work and she looks so pretty 😀

15. That is amazing!!! I can’t believe you knitted it!!! Wow.

16. Angie says:

Your knit is GORGEOUS!!!! Wow. I really love that keyhole opening too!!! Beautifully done.

17. Audrey says:

Speechless! What a gorgeous dress!

18. Ren says:

Gorgeous! Thanks for joining us at Inspire Us Thursday!

19. Magda E. says:

wow! I am so impressed with that knit… the dress is wonderful!

20. […] this dress where I went so far as to simply machine knit two big laces panels that I then cut into and sewed […]

21. […] are the best. That’s a total of 12 outfits this year!  Click through each and every link to see them all (or […]

22. […] some blue cotton remnant I’ve had forever. The blue lace is leftover from a knit I made for a dress for E. (I can’t believe that’s already 3 years ago.) And the orange cotton – natural […]

I love reading your comments! I will try to respond to every single one.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s