I’ve been talking about Peony so much that I figured it was only fair to give an update. Besides, it’s pretty much all I’ve been doing.
1. I sewed up the lining in Bemberg rayon. It was slippery and slidey. Next time I work with that stuff, I’m starching it stiff first. I can do that, right?
2. Got started on the main dress. Wool twill. Suiting, I think? It has a nice thickness, not flimsy but not too heavy. Just enough body. And drape. Beautiful blue. It’s just a teeny tiny bit itchy. I’ve tried it on over bare skin and sometimes it itches a tiny bit ans sometimes not at all. Hence the lining. That, and it’ll help keep the skirt where it should be.
3. I love working with wool. Love it so so so much! It’s just so beautiful to work with. Easy to cut, easy to sew, easy to press…
4. I was feeling a little bit down on this project until I tried the wool bodice on. Those dart point bubbles seem much less visible now. Did I say I love wool?
5. I basted the zipper in with silk thread. Tried the dress on. Had Mr. Mouse pin some excess out. Rebasted. Retried. Pinned some more excess out. Rebasted. Retried. Good. Look.
I took out 2″/5cm on each side! (Tapering down to nothing at the waist.) That is a LOT. I kind of want to see what the back piece would look like if I removed the 2″ the whole way and got the width back at the waist by removing that waist dart. Yeah, not now.
6. Souricette 2 walked in as I was putting the dress onto the dress form. She gave one of those little gasps and told me it was beautiful. And blue. She told me it was blue. And then, she asked if she could touch it. She could not stop touching. It isn’t even soft or anything!
7. I will be done in time. I still have some finishing up to do at the neckline and zipper. Then, I get to finish sewing the skirt, set in the sleeves, hem, and do a bit of hand sewing. I’ll totally have it. And now, it occurs to me that my girls and I will be dressed in blue…