Remember that cowl neck top I made that wasn’t working so well?
Here’s what it looks like now!
This is what it looked like before.
Gap at the underarms…
and gap at the back neck.
I ended up taking it in by 1/2″ on each side. That’s 2″ lost all the way around! I tapered down to the hem, stopping just before the hem seam. What? I didn’t feel like unpicking the hem!
The back was scarier. I used my dressform to pinch out two darts. Each 3/8″ wide (so 3/4″ width lost on each one) and 1.5″ long. Small tucks, really. See how it looks on the dress form?
Now, my back is a little straighter than that so there’s less width. I still have a bit of a gap. Can you see it?
I can because I know it’s there but it isn’t obvious. And it disappears as soon as I let go of my posture. I’m going to call this one good! No more looseness under the arms and acceptable gap in the back. It feels so good to have something actually wearable! It’s almost enough to make me try the pattern again. Almost but not quite.
Though, come to think of it, if I work at it, I could really perfect the fit from this pattern, right? Hmmmm….
PS: I was all set to show off another top I made but the pictures I took sucked. I have to get souricette 1 to do it for me…
Nicely done! Isn’t it funny how a good fit looks so much more comfortable?
Since the fixes you made worked so well, I think it would be a good idea to keep working with this pattern and just make it yours.
Thank you! I think what happens is that you stop fiddling with your clothes and shifting your posture when your clothes fit well. You forget about them.
I think you’re right. I did buy another cowl neck T pattern that I’m going to try but I really want this one to work too because it’s also meant to work with drapey wovens. I would love to have a nice collection of TnTs to work from in the future…
[…] This is the So Sew Easy aptly named Cowl Neck Top. I bought it after my first run through this one. I was thinking of just tweaking that one but since I’d already bought this So Sew Easy […]