The husband had this sweater he bought from J. Crew. Grey merino, so soft, and on sale. It took next to no time for him to wear a lovely hole into one arm.
Also one in front that I don’t have a picture of. He was going to throw it away but asked me if I could use it first (smart man). I tried it on and what do you know? It fits me! It just needed some mending to be perfectly wearable. I had these small sheets of felt that I made with the girls and I needle felted them over the holes. I also put a patch on the underside to make sure it would stay put.
The husband thought the light purple on the front just looked like a stain. And I felt it was a little thick on the arm but oh well. And it got fuzzy. And I really didn’t like the little felting needle holes. I don’t really needle felt much so just chalk it up to inexperience?
But then, a hole appeared right next to the patch.
There must be a quality issue with this sweater. I’ve never known a sweater to develop holes that fast. (And it’s not bugs.) Since I needed to make another fix anyway, I ripped out the arm patch but left the front one there. I carefully fused a little bit of interfacing to the wrong side to provide support for my stitching. And I darned.
The yarn is alpaca – silk that I bought for my knitting machine. I tried embroidery thread but it felt wrong. This blends in so much better. I covered the hole with yarn going one way and then did some weaving the other way. Easy. I stretched the arm out over a sleeve ham to do it. I also darned over the front patch just so everything would match nicely.
I like this so much better. And it doesn’t look like a stain anymore! I tried modeling the whole thing but you should have seen the contortions I had to go through to get that arm darning to show up… These are the best I could get.
I love reading your comments! I will try to respond to every single one.