I am so not a glitter person. It isn’t that I dislike it. It looks great on other people’s projects! The most glittery I’ve ever gone is the Dalek dress. And that was supposed to be a little bit costumey. Otherwise, it’s that blouse I made two years ago. And you can’t even see the very subtle glitter in the fabric! Even in person, it’s hard to see.
So to say that this week was going to be a challenge is a bit of an understatement. I don’t really want to buy shiny fabric and I don’t actually have much shiny stuff around. Some stuff for appliqués. Beads? Silver thread… And… That silver fabric from the Dalek dress! My aunt had bought it to make a costume. I think. That’s what my mom told me. I think. She gave it to my mother to give to me. It’s a very shiny silver slinky jersey. The wrong side is black and I get the impression that the silver is sprayed on or something. The whole thing feels very synthetic, soft, and silky.
I thought of this fabric and I knew I wanted to make some sort of drapey top. I had all these visions of a handkerchief hem but then reality set in. I didn’t have a whole lot of the fabric. I ended up making a raglan tunic. Jalie 3245 one size bigger than usual to be exact. I used the silver for the body and some of that Kaufman laguna stretch jersey in orchid. I used silver thread for my topstitching. The sleeves are hemmed with that stretch triple stitch. The twin needle thing doesn’t work perfectly for me no matter what I do and this looks just as pretty.
I’d originally planned on some black leggings with a black sequin stripe up the side. I found the trim on fabric.com and it’s great! The sequins are sewn onto this sort of corded ribbon. There’s enough space on the sides to machine sew the trim on without having to deal with the sequins. Anyway, they were out of the black stretch jersey I wanted. I did have some denim knit from Imagine Gnats though! Not quite stretchy enough for leggings but would make great comfy pants! E has these knit, slightly flared pants that I got her when she was 5. She still wears them a lot despite their having become too short. I decided to make her something similar.
I started with the pant block from Pattern Making for Kids’ Clothes. I added length to the bottom first. Then, I modified it to have a straight leg. Last, I added 1/2″ of flare at the bottom (for a total of 2″ around each leg) and traced a line from the knee to there. When the pattern is flat, you can hardly tell there’s a flare.
I added a 2″ hem allowance and 1″ seam allowance all over. I basted it together tried it on E and saw I needed to take the side seams in 1/2″. I did that, added the trim and tried them on her again. This time was good. I chopped off some length from the waist in order to add a waistband with elastic, hemmed, and done!
While this look is a lot less impressive than last week’s, I’m really happy to have been able to add some essentials to E’s wardrobe!