After weeks and weeks of sewing for the girls all the time, I was really excited to get back to sewing for myself. So many ideas! But I had started my Sewaholic Granville shirt and decided I should finish that first. All I could remember about it was which fabric I was using and that I had already made adjustments to my muslin.
I pressed my fabric again and set to cutting. I cut everything out and suddenly realized that while I had made changes to the muslin, I hadn’t transferred them to the pattern. Oops. But I’m lucky and the only change to make was to shave off some width at the hips.
I’ve been working ever so slowly. It doesn’t help that I’ve had a sick child and/or husband at home everyday this week. I’m still debating whether to set the sleeve in before sewing the side seams like all our store bought shirts or just follow the instructions. I noticed M’s work shirts have flat felled seams everywhere and I would like to do the same thing. I still need to test how that works out on a sleeve. It looks fiddly.
So, as you can see, I’ve done bodice and collar.
The collar is a little wonky. It looks really good from a distance but I’m annoyed with the topstitching on the collar stand. Especially on the underside where no one will see. (I’m trying to convince myself I don’t need to redo the wonkiness that you can plainly see in the pics.)
Yeah, I’ll undo and redo. I should have basted it in first but I had V underfoot and just wanted it done. I said I would take more care in my sewing so I should do it.
I’m going to have to accept the not perfect points on the collar. And I’m going to have to accept that this fabric (cotton lawn from Spoonflower) wrinkles when you look at it wrong. I pressed and pressed my seams and collar and still, wrinkles appear. Really trying to work the fine line between taking the time to get everything perfect and accepting when to call it good enough and a learning experience.
But hey! Maybe I’ll have a shirt in a week or two!